The Automobile Museum was set up in 1932 based on the idea of two pioneers of Italian motoring,Cesare Goria Gatti and Roberto Biscaretti di Ruffia (the first President of the Turin Automobile Club and one of the founders of the Fiat company), and is one of the oldest Automobile Museums in the world. This is the only National Museum of this kind in Italy, housed in the premises designed by the architect Amedeo Albertini, on the left bank of the Po river and a short distance from the Lingotto; it is one of the few buildings specially constructed to house a museum collection, and is also a rare example of modern architecture.
The Museum has one of the rarest and most interesting collections of its kind, with almost 200 original cars dating from the mid-19th century to the present day, and over eighty different makes of vehicle, from Italy, France, Great Britain, Germany, Holland, Spain, Poland and the United States. In 2002 the Museum directors started to think about works to renew the structure and contents. Forty years had passed, and the Museum had by now become dated and obsolete, so that change was needed to make it more appealing. The National Automobile Museum is reopening after a radical, large-scale transformation of its contents and its building.
The Museum has a new look, thanks to a modern, innovative design: this is not just a simple architectural renovation, but a new amenity redesigned to be placed among the most cutting-edge of European cultural centres.
Idealpark has installed a car lif to connect the four floors of the MAT (Automobile Museum of Turin) so the cars can be easily and fastly placed on display on the different levels.
The car lift proposed IdealPark is the IP1-HMR V12 model.